"Pi is like love--natural, irrational, and very important"
_________________________________________________________

9.10.10

AWKWARD TURTLE

Just pondering on the whole dating hoopla.... 
Just humor me and read this post.
Please.



The Background:  You are pretty sure the interest is mutual between one another.  There has been no DTR, however.  And ZERO physical affection.

.........................................


Situation #1: The DTR.  Hour car ride on the freeway to date destination.  
"So, uh. Us. I mean I kinda like you.  And I guess you kinda like me.  So. Ya....etc."[I have to resort to finishing this conversation with an "etc." because it would cause me so much pain to type out the rest of that dialogue.]
AWKWARD.


Situation #2: The Pause. The night is still young, but still a reasonable time to part separate ways and go home. But there seems to be evidence that neither party wants to leave-- or be brave and suggest plans to continue the night.

"So.... I guess.... I will see you....... tomorrow then....[leaving ample space for the other to interject a second conversation topic.  You don't catch on.]....Ok. Bye. " [leaves car to enter house] 

AWKWARD.


Situation #3:  Doorstep. Need I say more?

AWKWARD.


Situation #4: The Movie.  Note: this is a good thing that the night didn't continue on, otherwise this would have inevitably been the default activity.  Do you sit close? Hold hands? Let him put his arm around you? Sit on separate couches?
[Both sit with arms crossed with a 10-bible-thick-separation]

AWKWARD.


Situation #5: The Matchmaker Roommate.  While having polite conversation, the roommate comes in an starts serenading both of you on the piano.
"What is that you are playing?"
"Improv.  For you two." [both avoid eye contact with each other]
AWKWARD. 


Situation #6: The Second Date. The first one went well. He calls for a second. "Hey, would you like to go out on Saturday night?"  In response to this long awaited call, you forget to mask your ecstatic emotions and boldly reply with an intense:
"YES." [The silence between you is as thick as the sweater that your grandmother knitted you for Christmas] 
with little explanation, or a statement like "yeah, that sounds fun." 
Just, "YES."
AWKWARD.


Note for the reader:  These are a mix of real-life and imagined situations.  Moral of the story?  Pre-DTR is--yup, you guessed it,
 AWKWARD.
 


 

1 comment:

Allison said...

Oh gracious. Just reading this makes me feel all angsty and panicky. I think I need ice cream.

Bleh. I loathe dating pre-dtr.