"Pi is like love--natural, irrational, and very important"
_________________________________________________________

16.6.10

GOODBYE MATERIAL SCIENCE

So I took my material science final exam.   It was....ok...

I had to decipher my professor's questions sometimes- they were a bit vague-but all in all I think it went pretty smoothly.

If "smoothly" means deriving your own equations because you forgot them
[be true to your units, people! It saved my hiney!!]
and making up baloney about how to make a polymer more ductile
and trying to come up with the perfect material for an ice pick off of the top of your head.

I chose diamond.  

(It was the only thing I could think of that had the hardness I was looking for, would be eco-friendly, and doesn't corrode.  I usually google these things, so I was having a really hard time coming up with a material.)

Don't tell me that a diamond ice pick is ridiculous-- because price was not one of the things I had to consider!  {Haha Jordan, the econ side of me lost!}  I thought I was being pretty creative, actually.  Hey, my first thought was carbon nanotubes...

Diamond ice pick. Ha.


Well, even with the mediocre final, I got to sell back my textbook for a whopping $82!

{And no, I don't need the thing for reference, I google my material requirements, remember?? Doesn't that make you feel comfortable about today's engineers who are designing your bridges, dams, airplanes, and prosthetic limbs?? Wikipedia, baby.} 

I felt good about life after that.  Goodbye material science.

No comments: