"Pi is like love--natural, irrational, and very important"
_________________________________________________________

4.5.10

HOLY MACKEREL

SOOOOO I had a funny experience today....

You see, I am in the process of auditioning for the Orchestra at Temple Square. You have probably heard them because the orchestra frequently accompanies the Mormon Tabernacle Choir-directed by Mack Wilberg, and organized by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Days Saints. (CLICK HERE)

Background: I play the viola. No one hears the violas. We are smack dab in the middle of the orchestra and provide alto harmonies that gently hum underneath the soaring melodies of the ensemble. We are a bit under appreciated, and many people cannot tell us apart from a violin. We are constantly the butt of orchestra jokes, but everyone knows that if our section was nixed, there would be a gaping wound.

At least that is what we tell ourselves.

But that is ok with me. This means I can get away with a wrong sound here and there and not worry about tricky notes. Less stress in the back of the viola section-you know what I mean?

So back to my story....
I received an email from the audition coordinator that went something like this...
"Could you audition a week later than scheduled? I spoke with Mack Wilberg and he is unavailable on the date you listed...."


Uh....of course. Mack Wilberg. Yes, um...how silly of me. A week later will be no problem at all.

holy mackerel. (pun intended)

Mack Wilberg. THE conductor of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Top Dog, Commander in Chief, Team Captain. Last time I checked, I was auditioning for the orchestra, and for a benchwarmer position on an insignificant instrument, none the less.

Wowzers. This will not be helping my nerves one bit. I already have to play six orchestra excerpts, a concerto, a piece by Bach, my favorite hymn, and some on-the-spot-sight reading. ( Do they want my firstborn child as well?)
I jest, but I am exited. Nervous, yet excited. Pray for me, I will need all the help I can get.

And remember to tune in at 9:30 every sunday for Music and the Spoken Word. :)

No comments: